GNSS Applications in the Road sector
- Smart mobility applications improve the efficiency, effectiveness and comfort of road transportation through navigation, fleet management and satellite road traffic monitoring.
- Safety-critical applications leverage precise and secure positioning in situations with potential harm to humans or damage to a system/environment.
- Liability applications the positioning data provided by liability applications are linked to legal and economic liabilities in Road User Charging and Insurance telematics.
- Regulated applications apply the transport policies introduced by national or international legislations:
- The GNSS-enabled IVS are used in regulated applications, such as the pan- European eCall or the ERA-GLONASS in Russia, which send an emergency call to 112 in the case of an accident.
- Enhanced digital tachographs leverage GNSS positioning to support road enforcers, recording the position of a given vehicle at different points during the working day.